Friday, March 7, 2008

Having fun

When cruising and sailing to distant locations it is always a high priority to have fun. Often times we find different ways to have fun like running photography contests, making conch horns, spear fishing, scavenger hunts, bocci ball tournaments, etc. However, one of the best things to do in a harbor is... Oh wait, I have not sworn you in yet.

In order to read the remainder of this post you must place your fingers on the following keys:

B I [B] L E (if it makes you feel any better you can place two fingers on the B key)

Now read the following:

I (state your name) do solemnly swear that the information I read in this blog will not be used to ruin someone's fun. Because I know how this trick works does not give me the right or title to be a real tool and announce over the radio, drinks the next day, or divulge in any other way the trick. I will merely sit back and smile knowingly. If I violate this sacred oath may I suddenly become allergic to rum drinks, my packing gland will weep uncontrollably, and I will get a sun tan that will make everyone laugh.

Ok - now that you are officially sworn in. What you will need is a night with no moon (this means either a full cloud cover or new moon), a fair breeze, a parachute kite (These are the extremely stable type of kites that will fly in a little amount of wind. Also, they tend to be able to lift a small payload.), a couple of bracelet or necklace glow in the dark sticks (Dollar store usually sells these during the summer months. If possible pick the glow sticks that are not the standard colors -green being the most recognizable).

Ok - if you have already caught on to what we are going to do stop laughing. You would have fallen for this if you had not read this.

You take the glow sticks break them to start them glowing and bend them into unusual shapes. I like to tie them in a knot or bend them in a "L" shape. Now securely fasten two or three of these onto the kite.

Now remember DON'T CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF. Launch the kite over the harbor. Let the string out a little to get the kite away from your boat and up over the harbor. Then casually announce over the radio (a cruiser net works the best) "hey does anyone else see that UFO over xxxxx harbor". Sit back and listen to the everyone give their own interpretation of what they see.

Since the dark night takes away much of the frame of reference most people think the kite is much farther away than it actually is. You might hear one boat say it is over the shore while another will swear it is over the distant island group. Remember each one of these boats are seeing it from a different angle so their perspective puts it at a different place. If the fervor gets high enough you might want to helpfully add "I see a bunch of them all around".Now keep in mind, the first rule of cruising sailboats is - sailors like a good story. Usually the passage of time makes a story even better. My father has a few stories about me that are old enough that I actually die in end. He will straight faced tell them with me sitting in the room. Which brings me to the second rule of cruising sailboats - don't let facts or physics get in the way of a good story. Think of this as a present to the other boats - you are giving some of these cruiser one of the best stories in their lives. The best thing is everyone else on their boat will swear they saw the UFO also - because they really did. Nothing adds to an unbelievable story more than a good witness or two.

The next day you might hear other cruisers debating the UFO phenomenon. Remember you have sworn on the bible keys not to ruin the illusion. The story might even grow to include sightings of aliens or perhaps in a couple of days you might want to break out your Elvis mask and show up at the dingy dock right at dusk.

Remember this is all in good fun. Resist the temptation to make fun of other cruisers and NEVER do the trick more than one night. Let their imaginations run wild. Hopefully you will give them a story they can publish in 'Latitudes and Attitudes'.


UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE
December and January of 2008-2009 I was in the Abacos Bahamas. My brother was visiting and we were in a VERY dark harbor (I will not say which to protect myself and others). We were sitting out looking at the stars and enjoying the wind when he said "let's fly the UFO kite". We got the glow sticks attached and let the kite go. in this harbor our boat was toward the end of the anchorage and there was only one boat behind us (downwind). The kite was right over his mast (@100'). We called on the radio - "Anyone else see that UFO" then sat back to enjoy the night. About 5 minutes later all of the lights came on on the boat behind us. He pulled up anchor and went up in the middle of the other boats in the anchorage and dropped anchor again. I guess he thought the aliens would only get the last boat in line. I really felt bad for causing him to move. I am sure he is telling how the aliens almost got me story and amazing his audience. Remember you oath. It is just between you and I. Don't tell anyone else.

No comments: