Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The naming of a vessel



Hello and welcome to my blog. My name is Grace. I thought we would get to know each other by telling you a story of how I was named. First let me introduce you to my boat slave (he calls himself by many other titles - owner, captain, la la la). Boat slave is a most fitting of titles because when he is not with me he is thinking of me and when I take him on an adventure he is truly happy, he spends most of his spare time on projects around the boat. Here he is posing with his father behind my wheel.



When he first purchased me from a very nice family he was asked for a name. Since it only took 24 hours from the time he first laid eyes on me to the time he bought me he had not given this issue a lot of thought. He had looked at other CSYs around the country and had not found any that caused his breath to catch - that is until he met me. It was love at first sight (for him - He was on a probation period with me). When he went to the closing he did not understand I am a US documented vessel and as such I require a name. His last boat was a Hunter 34 named "The Office" (how cute). When he was informed by the lady processing the paperwork he needed a name for me, he froze. I was secure back at my dock waiting for him so I was not there but I am sure he gave her his 'deer in the headlights' look and muttered "The Office". What was he thinking. Had he not seen me? Do I look like an office. I have seen the Hunter 34s out sailing and I have nothing against them, but couldn't they train him better.

I will tell you now, when I first heard the name I was not please and there was no way he was going to plaster that across my stern! I found him, I would find another if he kept up with that foolishness.

Well to make a long story short. I finally convinced him "The Office" would not work so he spent more than a millisecond thinking about another name and came up with the Grace - now that fits me. It looks good across my stern. I even have it etched in my table. When you visit me you can't help but know my name (he has it everywhere - shirts, towels, etched on cabinets, etched on the table, etc). He told me he selected the name because of the line in Amazing Grace.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...

we have already come.

T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...

and Grace will lead us home.


I was touched - the name fit like a glove. I even let him put it on my stern.

I have done a little more research and found that Grace has a special meaning in Greek mythology.


The Graces of Greek mythology are three goddesses of joy, charm, and beauty. The daughters of the god Zeus and the nymph Eurynome, they were named Aglaia (Splendor), Euphrosyne (Mirth), and Thalia (Youth and Beauty). The Graces presided over banquets, dances, and all other pleasurable social events, and brought joy and goodwill to both gods and mortals.

That is a better description of me. I have multiple different personalities - I can be strong and reliable, warm and spacious, or fun and adventurous. After the bad start my boat slave came through and chose the right name for me.

My boat slave even had a priest christen me with the new name. I even had a christening party where he had someone play Amazing Grace on the bagpipes, then several readings, and finally had his friend Emily lead everyone in singing Amazing Grace.

He is so thoughtful, he gave me three conch horns for my christening. Cruisers use these conch horns to 'blow down the sun'. It is truly beautiful to hear a harbor full of boats at sunset signaling the day is over. There is one conch horn for each of the Graces in Greek mythology. He had a gold plated for Aglaia (splendor), a silver plated one for Thalia (youth and beauty), and a funny looking long one for Euphorsyne (mirth). Both Aglaia and Thalia had a beautiful tone and at first Euphorsyne only croaked when she was blown. At the christening my boat slave's nephew Chris tried blowing Euphorsyne and the most beautiful sound came out, but my boat slave could only make her croak. I guess Euphorsyne has a name that fits as well.

After his original misstart naming me "the office" (I shutter) he has redeemed himself. My name fits.

Let this be a lesson to everyone - a name has fit your boat. Don't try naming it something that fits you and not your boat. I have seen power boats with names like Reel Men. I can't imagine living my life with that across my back end. Don't rush it, your boat will let you know the right name in its own time.


No comments: